About Subscribe Submit news Get in touch
 
Home Opinion In depth Video LIVE Interviews NEW!! Jobs
Japan’s Covid surge puts Super Nintendo World launch on indefinite hiatus | Planet Attractions
     

news

Japan’s Covid surge puts Super Nintendo World launch on indefinite hiatus

A surge in Coronavirus cases has put Nintendo’s theme park debut on hold for the time-being




Bowser and company will remain behind closed doors until Japan’s COVID spike decreases   Credit: Universal Studios Japan

The opening of Super Nintendo World has been delayed following the declaration of a State of Emergency in the Osaka Prefecture as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic.

The US$580m attraction at Universal Studios Japan was set to open on February 4, but due to an increase of COVID-19 cases in the region, the highly-anticipated launch has now been delayed indefinitely.

“We sincerely apologise to all the guests and stakeholders who were looking forward to the opening,” said a Universal statement. “The opening date will be decided and announced after the State of Emergency is lifted.”

There had been hopes that Japan, which is scheduled to host the Olympic Games in Tokyo in 2021, would be able to welcome back tourists early into the New Year, though a spike in Covid cases will delay this even further.

More than 60,000 patients are currently hospitalised with COVID-19, placing pressure on Japan’s healthcare system. The country reported 4,527 new cases and 51 deaths on January 12, bringing the national total to nearly 300,000, with a death toll of 4,158.

On Wednesday, Japanese Prime Minister, Yoshihide Suga, announced a ban on all foreign nationals entering the country.

"I hope people understand that this is an indispensable measure to improve this difficult situation,” said the Prime Minister. “We will do everything we need to do. I apologise for the inconvenience caused to your life with these many restrictions, but we must overcome this.”


Theme park

 

Legoland construction starts up again as Covid lockdown starts to ease





Google uses augmented reality to bring fine art to life for International Museum Day





National Football Museum and Royal Botanic Gardens get share of £553m in carbon reduction scheme




Industry insights



Two sustainability mantras from the House of Gucci movie



Video



World-first Nerf-themed land coming to Beto Carrero World in 2023


In Depth



Land, sea and everywhere in between: WhiteWater’s global openings for 2022



© Kazoo 5 Limited 2022
About Subscribe Get in touch
 
Opinion In depth Video LIVE
NEW!! Jobs
Japan’s Covid surge puts Super Nintendo World launch on indefinite hiatus | Planet Attractions

news

Japan’s Covid surge puts Super Nintendo World launch on indefinite hiatus

A surge in Coronavirus cases has put Nintendo’s theme park debut on hold for the time-being




Bowser and company will remain behind closed doors until Japan’s COVID spike decreases   Credit: Universal Studios Japan

The opening of Super Nintendo World has been delayed following the declaration of a State of Emergency in the Osaka Prefecture as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic.

The US$580m attraction at Universal Studios Japan was set to open on February 4, but due to an increase of COVID-19 cases in the region, the highly-anticipated launch has now been delayed indefinitely.

“We sincerely apologise to all the guests and stakeholders who were looking forward to the opening,” said a Universal statement. “The opening date will be decided and announced after the State of Emergency is lifted.”

There had been hopes that Japan, which is scheduled to host the Olympic Games in Tokyo in 2021, would be able to welcome back tourists early into the New Year, though a spike in Covid cases will delay this even further.

More than 60,000 patients are currently hospitalised with COVID-19, placing pressure on Japan’s healthcare system. The country reported 4,527 new cases and 51 deaths on January 12, bringing the national total to nearly 300,000, with a death toll of 4,158.

On Wednesday, Japanese Prime Minister, Yoshihide Suga, announced a ban on all foreign nationals entering the country.

"I hope people understand that this is an indispensable measure to improve this difficult situation,” said the Prime Minister. “We will do everything we need to do. I apologise for the inconvenience caused to your life with these many restrictions, but we must overcome this.”


 



© Kazoo 5 Limited 2022