About Subscribe Submit news Get in touch
 
Home Opinion In depth Video LIVE news Interviews Company profiles Events diary Jobs
Unesco releases statement on Havana hotel explosion | Planet Attractions
     



Unesco releases statement on Havana hotel explosion

Unesco’s World Heritage Centre has released a statement on the accidental explosion that ripped through much of the Saratoga Hotel, in Havana, Cuba on Friday (May 6), killing at least 35 people.






Unesco’s World Heritage Centre has released a statement on the accidental explosion that ripped through much of the Saratoga Hotel, in Havana, Cuba on Friday (May 6), killing at least 35 people.

Inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1982 as part of the Old City of Havana, the Saratoga Hotel was built in 1880 and is one of the most important architectural monuments in Cuba.

The hotel had been closed for renovations with the explosion victims mostly consisting of construction workers and staff. Many were also injured with 24 people remaining in hospital as of Sunday (May 8). The first four floors of the landmark were completely gutted and its façade was blown off.

“To address this terrible accident, we stand alongside the Cuban people and the Cuban authorities, ready to support appropriate diagnostic, rehabilitation and conservation actions,” said Lazare Eloundou Assomo, director of World Heritage for Unesco.


Live

 

Brogent plans Attack on Titan content as company also prepares to open trio of flying theatres in 2024





Attractions.io championing guest experience in 2024 with new product releases





Plans to build second Great Wolf waterpark resort in the UK move step closer after ‘in-principle’ deal agreed




Industry insights



Museum exhibition design trends



Video



WATCH: Steve Drake on accesso’s expanding portfolio


In Depth



Mundo Amazonia: Exploring Bellewaerde Park’s new themed area for 2024



© Kazoo 5 Limited 2024
About Subscribe Get in touch
 
Opinion In depth Interviews
LIVE news Profiles Diary Video
Jobs
Unesco releases statement on Havana hotel explosion | Planet Attractions


Unesco releases statement on Havana hotel explosion

Unesco’s World Heritage Centre has released a statement on the accidental explosion that ripped through much of the Saratoga Hotel, in Havana, Cuba on Friday (May 6), killing at least 35 people.






Unesco’s World Heritage Centre has released a statement on the accidental explosion that ripped through much of the Saratoga Hotel, in Havana, Cuba on Friday (May 6), killing at least 35 people.

Inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1982 as part of the Old City of Havana, the Saratoga Hotel was built in 1880 and is one of the most important architectural monuments in Cuba.

The hotel had been closed for renovations with the explosion victims mostly consisting of construction workers and staff. Many were also injured with 24 people remaining in hospital as of Sunday (May 8). The first four floors of the landmark were completely gutted and its façade was blown off.

“To address this terrible accident, we stand alongside the Cuban people and the Cuban authorities, ready to support appropriate diagnostic, rehabilitation and conservation actions,” said Lazare Eloundou Assomo, director of World Heritage for Unesco.


 



© Kazoo 5 Limited 2024